This delicious asparagus vichyssoise recipe is the perfect dish for a refreshing lunch or light dinner. It’s a classic French soup that combines the smooth and creamy texture of potatoes with the earthy flavor of asparagus. The soup is traditionally served cold, making it a great option for a hot summer day. This recipe is easy to follow and can be prepared in just over an hour.
Preparation Time:1 hour and 15 minutes
– 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
– 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
– 1 cup heavy cream
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
– Chopped chives or parsley, for garnish (optional)
– Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces, reserving the tips.
– Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leek and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
– Add the potatoes, asparagus (excluding the tips), and broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
– Add the asparagus tips and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until tender.
– Using an immersion blender or transferring the soup to a blender in batches, puree the soup until smooth.
– Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
– Chill the soup in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
– When ready to serve, garnish with chopped chives or parsley, if desired.
This asparagus vichyssoise recipe is a great way to enjoy the fresh flavors of asparagus in a new way. It’s easy to make and can be enjoyed cold on a hot day or warm on a cool evening. Give it a try and impress your friends and family with your French cooking skills!