Embark on a delightful culinary adventure with this Homemade Picadillo with Flour Tortillas recipe. Bursting with savory flavors and aromatic spices, this dish promises to tantalize your taste buds and bring the warmth of home-cooked comfort to your table. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a novice in the kitchen, the simplicity of the ingredients and the ease of preparation make this recipe a must-try. Join us as we dive into the steps to create this mouthwatering dish that combines the richness of picadillo with the softness of homemade flour tortillas.
Ingredients: For Picadillo:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
- 1 to 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 1 can green beans or fresh (optional)
- Small onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 2 Serrano Chiles, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt (add more if needed)
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano (rubbed between palms)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsps paprika
- Pepper to taste
For Flour Tortillas:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup warm water
Directions: For Picadillo:
- Begin by adding extra virgin olive oil to a skillet. Toss in the cubed potatoes and cook until they achieve a golden brown color and are cooked through. Once done, remove the potatoes from the pan.
- In the same skillet, add ground beef, minced garlic, diced onions, and the array of spices. Cook the mixture until the ground beef is browned, then introduce the diced tomatoes and chopped Serrano Chiles. Allow the mixture to simmer until it thickens.
- Reintroduce the cooked potatoes to the skillet and let the entire concoction simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Your savory picadillo is now ready to be enjoyed!
For Flour Tortillas:
- In a bowl, combine all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add vegetable shortening to the dry mixture and ensure an even distribution throughout.
- Gradually add warm water to the mixture, stirring continuously until you achieve a dough consistency.
- Allow the dough to rest inside a Ziploc bag for at least 1 hour before proceeding.
- After the resting period, form small balls from the dough and extend them into tortilla shapes. Cook the tortillas on a griddle, turning them when bubbles begin to appear.
Conclusion: As you savor each bite of your Homemade Picadillo with Flour Tortillas, you’ll be transported to a world where the aromas of spices and the richness of ingredients blend seamlessly. This recipe offers not only a delicious meal but also a sense of accomplishment as you enjoy the fruits of your labor. Whether shared with loved ones or savored in solitude, this dish brings the warmth and satisfaction that only a homemade creation can provide. So, gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and indulge in the joy of crafting a culinary masterpiece right in your own kitchen. Enjoy!