Forget store-bought puff pastry – with this recipe, you can make your own rough puff pastry at home! Although it’s not quite as flaky as traditional puff pastry, it’s still delicious and perfect for a variety of sweet and savory dishes. Best of all, it only takes a few ingredients and a little bit of patience to create.
Preparation Time: 2 hours
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 pound (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
– 1/2 cup ice water
– In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
– Add the cubed butter to the bowl and toss it in the flour mixture until each piece is coated.
– Pour in the ice water and stir gently until the mixture starts to come together.
– Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it just until it comes together in a shaggy ball.
– Roll the dough out into a rectangle that’s about 1/2 inch thick.
– Fold the bottom third of the rectangle up to the center, then fold the top third down to the center to create a smaller rectangle.
– Turn the dough a quarter turn so that the open end is facing you, then roll it out again into a rectangle that’s about 1/2 inch thick.
– Repeat the folding and rolling process three more times, chilling the dough in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes between each round.
– After the final round, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before using.