Dive into the scrumptious goodness of Fried Potatoes and Onions, a side dish that adds a touch of comfort to any hearty breakfast. With thin-skinned white potatoes, sweet onions, and a perfect blend of oil and butter, this dish is a simple yet satisfying addition to your morning feast. Join us as we explore tips and hints to make these fried potatoes and onions truly irresistible.
Tips and Hints for Fried Potatoes and Onions:
- You can use different oils like peanut oil or opt for butter for that authentic Southern touch.
- Feel free to experiment with different potato varieties, although thin-skinned potatoes like red potatoes are recommended.
- The choice to peel the potatoes is entirely up to your preference. Thin-skinned potatoes eliminate the need for peeling.
- 1 1/2 pounds (approximately 3 potatoes) round, thin-skinned white potatoes 🥔
- 1 large sweet onion 🧅
- Salt to taste 🧂
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 turn of the frying pan 🌿
- 2 tablespoons butter 🧈
- Heat a heavy 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Cut the potatoes and onions into very thin slices. Salt the potatoes and onions.
- Add oil and butter to the skillet. When the butter becomes foamy, add the potatoes and onions to the skillet.
- Place a dinner plate on top of the potatoes and weigh it down with something heavy: a bag of flour, heavy canned food, etc. Leave the potatoes and onions to cook, 2 to 3 minutes, then flip them over, replace the weights, and let them cook again.
- Continue to sauté the potatoes and onions for 20 minutes, until they are golden and lightly browned.
Enjoy the simple yet delicious flavors of this classic dish! Perfect for a leisurely breakfast or brunch. Savor the homely goodness of Fried Potatoes and Onions, a dish that brings warmth and comfort to your morning table. Whether you’re starting your day or enjoying a leisurely brunch, these perfectly cooked potatoes and onions are sure to become a breakfast favorite. Bon appétit!