If you’re a fan of crispy and flavorful chicken, then you’ll love learning how to make parmesan crusted chicken in an air fryer. Air frying is a healthier alternative to deep frying as it requires little to no oil while still achieving that desirable crispy texture. In this article, we will guide you through the process of preparing and cooking parmesan crusted chicken in an air fryer, ensuring delicious results every time.
2. The Benefits of Air Frying
Air frying has gained popularity in recent years due to its numerous benefits. Not only does it produce crispy and evenly cooked food, but it also reduces the amount of oil used in traditional frying methods. Air fryers work by circulating hot air around the food, resulting in a crispy exterior and a moist interior. Additionally, air frying is faster than conventional baking and provides a healthier alternative to deep frying.
3. Preparing the Parmesan Crusted Chicken
3.1 Gathering the Ingredients
To make parmesan crusted chicken in an air fryer, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chicken breasts or chicken tenders
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Bread crumbs (preferably panko)
- All-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Dried herbs (such as oregano or basil)
3.2 Preparing the Chicken
Before coating the chicken with the parmesan crust, it’s essential to prepare the chicken properly. Start by rinsing the chicken breasts or tenders under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, ensuring it is evenly seasoned on both sides.
3.3 Creating the Parmesan Crust
In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs until well beaten. In a separate bowl, combine the grated parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, all-purpose flour, and dried herbs. Dip each seasoned chicken piece into the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off, and then coat it with the parmesan crust mixture, pressing gently to ensure it adheres.
4. How Long to Air Fry Parmesan Crusted Chicken
4.1 Setting Up the Air Fryer
Before cooking the parmesan crusted chicken, it’s important to preheat your air fryer. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for preheating, as different models may have varying requirements. Preheating the air fryer ensures that the chicken cooks evenly and achieves a crisp exterior.
4.2 Cooking Time and Temperature
The cooking time and temperature for parmesan crusted chicken in an air fryer may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken pieces and the specific model of your air fryer. As a general guideline, preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C) and cook the chicken for approximately 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165°F (74°C) to ensure it is fully cooked.
5. Tips for Perfectly Air Fried Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Ensure the chicken pieces are of similar thickness for even cooking.
- If using chicken breasts, consider slicing them horizontally to create thinner cutlets.
- Spray the chicken with cooking oil or lightly brush it with oil before air frying to enhance the crispiness.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket, as this can prevent proper air circulation and result in uneven cooking.
- Experiment with different seasonings and spices to customize the flavor of your parmesan crusted chicken.
6. Serving Suggestions
Parmesan crusted chicken pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve it over a bed of mixed greens for a refreshing salad.
- Accompany it with roasted vegetables for a wholesome meal.
- Slice it and use it as a filling for sandwiches or wraps.
- Serve it alongside your favorite dipping sauces or marinara for a flavorful twist.
Air frying parmesan crusted chicken is a simple and delicious way to enjoy a crispy and flavorful meal. By following the step-by-step guide in this article, you’ll be able to create a mouthwatering dish that is healthier than traditional deep-fried options. Remember to adjust the cooking time and temperature based on your specific air fryer model and the thickness of the chicken pieces. Get ready to savor every bite of your homemade parmesan crusted chicken!
1. Can I use bone-in chicken for this recipe? Yes, you can use bone-in chicken, but keep in mind that the cooking time may need to be adjusted accordingly.
2. Can I use pre-shredded parmesan cheese? While pre-shredded parmesan cheese can be used, freshly grated parmesan will provide the best flavor and texture.
3. Can I freeze leftover parmesan crusted chicken? Yes, you can freeze leftover parmesan crusted chicken. Allow it to cool completely, then store it in an airtight container or freezer bag. Thaw and reheat in the air fryer for best results.
4. Can I use different types of cheese for the crust? Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different cheeses like cheddar, mozzarella, or a blend of cheeses for a unique twist.
5. Can I use an oven instead of an air fryer? Yes, if you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake the parmesan crusted chicken in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).