Parmesan crusted chicken is a delicious and savory dish that combines the tenderness of chicken with the rich, nutty flavor of Parmesan cheese. It’s a popular choice for dinner or as a main course in various recipes. If you’re curious about the calorie content of this mouthwatering dish, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll explore the number of calories in Parmesan crusted chicken and delve into its nutritional information.
What is Parmesan Crusted Chicken?
Parmesan crusted chicken is a dish made by coating chicken breasts with a mixture of Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and herbs or spices. The chicken is then baked or fried until it reaches a crispy and golden-brown crust, while the inside remains moist and tender.
To prepare Parmesan crusted chicken, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Chicken breasts
- Parmesan cheese
- Breadcrumbs (regular or panko)
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil or cooking spray (for baking or frying)
Follow these steps to make Parmesan crusted chicken:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) if you’re baking or heat a skillet with oil over medium heat if you’re frying.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, combine the Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Dip each chicken breast into the mixture, pressing firmly to coat both sides evenly.
- For baking: Place the coated chicken breasts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or greased with cooking spray. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is golden and crispy.
- For frying: Place the coated chicken breasts in the heated skillet and cook for approximately 6-8 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is golden and crispy.
- Remove the chicken from the oven or skillet and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
The calorie content of Parmesan crusted chicken can vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts and the amount of coating used. On average, a single serving of Parmesan crusted chicken (approximately 4 ounces or 113 grams) contains approximately 280-350 calories. However, it’s important to note that this is just an estimate, and the actual calorie count may differ based on the specific recipe and cooking method used.
Parmesan crusted chicken can be a good source of protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. It also provides essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, niacin, phosphorus, and selenium. However, it’s worth mentioning that the calorie content of this dish primarily comes from the coating, which includes cheese and breadcrumbs. Therefore, it should be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Is Parmesan Crusted Chicken Suitable for Weight Loss?
While Parmesan crusted chicken can be a tasty addition to your meal plan, it’s important to be mindful of portion sizes and the overall calorie content. The coating on the chicken adds calories and can increase the overall energy intake of the dish. If you’re on a weight loss journey, it’s recommended to consume Parmesan crusted chicken in moderation and balance it with other nutritious foods that promote satiety and support your weight loss goals.
1. Can I use a different cheese instead of Parmesan? Yes, you can experiment with different types of cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella, to create a unique flavor profile for your crusted chicken. However, keep in mind that the nutritional information may vary.
2. Can I use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts? Absolutely! Boneless chicken thighs can also be used to make Parmesan crusted chicken. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the chicken is fully cooked.
3. Can I make Parmesan crusted chicken without breadcrumbs? Yes, you can substitute breadcrumbs with crushed crackers or even crushed cornflakes for a gluten-free option. This will still give the chicken a crispy coating.
4. Is Parmesan crusted chicken suitable for a keto diet? Parmesan crusted chicken can be compatible with a keto diet if you use low-carb breadcrumbs or almond flour instead of traditional breadcrumbs. However, make sure to account for the calorie content and portion sizes.
5. Can I freeze Parmesan crusted chicken? Yes, you can freeze Parmesan crusted chicken. Allow the cooked chicken to cool completely, then wrap each piece individually in plastic wrap or place them in airtight containers. Thaw and reheat as needed.
Parmesan crusted chicken is a delightful dish that combines the succulence of chicken with the flavorful crunch of Parmesan cheese. The calorie content of Parmesan crusted chicken can vary based on the recipe and cooking method. It’s essential to enjoy this dish in moderation as part of a well-balanced diet. Experiment with different variations and accompany it with nutritious sides to create a satisfying and delicious meal.